This is one of our tried and true Ina Garten recipes. It is always a crowd pleaser and a great way to feed a big group!
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3-4 oz creamy goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/2 pound lasagna noodles
15 oz ricotta cheese
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) skillet.
3. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tbsp. of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
4. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
5. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tbsp. of parsley, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Set Aside.
7. Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 x 12 baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.